If you thought that figs are just another fruit and have ‘some’ benefit, which is why the oldies recommend it, spare a minute to understand the ‘some’ of benefits.
Health benefits of figs can be attributed to the presence of minerals, vitamins and fibre in them. Figs contain vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2,calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, sodium,potassium and chlorine.
A snapshot - helps in prevention of hypertension, Lowers cholesterol, helps lose weight, prevents constipation, prevents cancer, reduces fatigue, increases brain power, treats anemia, strengthens bones, treats acne & pimples, helps treat respiratory disorders, prevents heart disease, is good for diabetic patients and even treats sexual weakness!
So these are 'some' benefits, right? Grab 1-3 pieces of figs in your daily diet and fig-ure it out yourself! :)
Here are the details of the benefits, for the knowledge seekers:
- Prevent constipation: There are 5 grams of fiber per three-fig serving. So, it helps in healthy bowel function and prevents constipation.
- Weight loss: The fiber in figs also helps to reduce weight and is recommended for obese people. Take care - figs also result in weight gain, especially when consumed with milk.
- Lower cholesterol: Figs contain Pectin, a soluble fiber. When fiber goes through the digestive system, it mops up globes of cholesterol and carries them out of body.
- Prevent coronary heart disease: Dried figs contain phenol, Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Prevent colon cancer: The presence of fiber helps to mop up and usher out cancer causing substances.
- Protection against post-menopausal breast cancer: Fiber content in figs give protection against breastcancer.
- Good for diabetic patients: The American Diabetes Association recommends figs for a high fiber treat. Fig leaves reduce the amount of insulin needed by diabetic patients who have to take insulin injection. Fig is rich in Potassium. Potassium helps to control blood sugar. Fig leaves have anti-diabetic properties
- Prevention of hypertension: People used to take more sodium in the form of salt. Low potassium and high sodium level may lead to hypertension. Figs are high in potassium but low in sodium. So, it helps to avoid hypertension.
- Sexual weakness: Figs are known since ages for reducing sexual weakness. Soak 2-3 figs in milk overnight and eat them in the morning to enhance your sexual power. It also helps in gaining weight.
- Strengthens bones: Figs are rich in Calcium and calcium helps to strengthen bones
- Urinary calcium loss: People having high salt diet may be affected by increased urinary calcium loss. Potassium content in figs helps to avoid that.
- Prevent macular degeneration: Vision loss in older people is due to macular degeneration. Fruits and figs generally are good for avoiding this condition.
- Relief for throat: The high mucilage content in figs, helps to heal and protect sore throats.
- Figs are quite useful in various respiratory disorders including whooping cough and asthma. Since they are also good for digestion, they help in treating constipation, indigestion, stomach ache, etc. Figs are also good for fever, earache, boils, abscesses, venereal diseases and is excellent for the liver. Fig is a highly alkaline food, therefore helps to regulate the pH of the body. Figs are rich in flavonoids and polyphenols. These are antioxidants, which prevent the damage caused by free radicals. Fig is known for its soothing and laxative properties. Figs are low in fat and sugar.
- Because figs contain iron, they are useful in treating anemia
- Mash about fresh figs and them on your face and leave for 10-15 minutes. This is useful for treating acne and pimples
- It is said that eating figs can relieve fatigue and boost brain power too
Precaution: Taking too much fig can cause diarrhoea. Dried figs are high in sugar and might cause tooth decay.
In fact, according to the website whfoods.com (http://www.whfoods.com/), even the leaves of the fig tree have their health benefits. “The leaves of the fig have repeatedly been shown to have antidiabetic properties and can actually reduce the amount of insulin needed by persons with diabetes who require insulin injections” (AnInsulin-Lowering Leaf in Diabetes)