February 06, 2014

Lung Cancer


     Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers in the world. Lung cancer is the growth of cancerous cell that start off in one or both lungs. The cancer usually  affects the cells that line the air passages. These cancerous cells divide into tumour which become larger and more numerous. Due to this the lung’s ability to provide the bloodstream with oxygen is lowered Lung cancer can be broadly classified into two main types based on the cancer cell appearance under a microscope: non - small cell lung cancer and small cell lung cancer. 

     Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) accounts for 80% of lung cancers, while small cell lung cancer accounts for the remaining 20%.Small cell lung cancer (SCLC) is characterized by small cells that multiply quickly and form large tumours that travel throughout the body. Almost all cases of SCLC are due to smoking.





Risk Factors

  • Smoking and chewing tobacco are related to developing lung cancer, as well as to cancer of the mouth and throat. Over 85% of lung cancers are related to smoking and passive smoking. 
  • The more cigarettes you smoke per day and the earlier you started smoking, the greater your risk of lung cancer. 
  • Smoking one marijuana cigarette, may affect the lungs as much as smoking a pack of cigarettes.
  • High levels of pollution, radiation and asbestos exposure may also increase risk. 
  • Radiation exposure from occupational, medical, or environmental sources.

Symptoms

  • A cough that doesn't go away and gets worse over time
  • Constant chest pain
  • Coughing up blood
  • Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
  • Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
  • Swelling of the neck and face
  • Loss of appetite or weight loss
  • Fatigue


Source   NLM , Medicalnewstoday , WebMd,
                 Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment